Ask a hundred WoW players which expansion was the best and a good chunk of them, without hesitating, will say Wrath. I'm one of them. I've played every expansion since, and none of them ever quite got back to what Northrend felt like in 2009.
Part of it was the setup. TBC pulled me in, but Wrath was the first expansion I got to walk into on day one, already max level, already ready, no old-world slog standing between me and the new stuff. You picked a boat to Howling Fjord or a zeppelin to Borean Tundra, and either way you dropped into a continent that actually felt like a place. Snow, longships, vrykul, a mystery hanging over the whole thing. And behind all of it, the one villain the game had been building toward since before I ever logged in. Arthas. The Lich King on his throne, waiting the entire expansion.
Wrath is also where the wheels came off, in the best way. I'd been a one-character guy through TBC, faithful to the undead warlock. Then Wrath added the Death Knight, the first hero class, starting at level 55 with that fantastic intro questline, and I had to try it. Then dual specs showed up and suddenly respeccing wasn't a tax. I'd already toyed with an alliance hunter a little bit. Then I rolled a Blood Elf paladin just to see, and that was it. A druid and shaman were not far behind. The altoholism I'll confess to later this month started right here. I blame Northrend entirely.
I wasn't in there clearing Icecrown the week it dropped. But Wrath is where the Dungeon Finder landed, in patch 3.3, and that quietly changed the game for a player like me. Suddenly you could queue up, get dropped into a random heroic with four strangers, and actually grind out the gear to be ready for a raid without having to build your whole evening around organizing one. I ran a lot of those five-mans. I geared up more reliably than I ever had, and I saw the Lich King go down eventually, well after the people who are good at this game had moved on. Didn't matter. Getting there at my own pace, on my own characters, was the whole point.
I also should mention that I never had a consistent guild up through Wrath. That didn't gel for me until Cataclysm. So I was always bouncing around trying new guilds. Sometimes seeing if a more serious raiding guild would fit, or trying something casual, or signing up with whatever random person messaged me while I was out leveling.
I also have to give Wintergrasp its due. I'm not generally much of a PvP guy, although I have had my moments where I've done quite a bit. The itch hits me occasionally, and that big battle out in the Northrend snow was the most fun I've ever had with the PvP side of WoW. Whole raids of players fighting over a keep, siege vehicles rolling in, the whole zone flipping back and forth. When it was about to pop I'd drop whatever I was doing and go. That kind of thing almost never grabs me. That one did.
People argue Wrath was the peak and it's been downhill since. I don't fully buy that. But I understand exactly why they say it.
That's it for now!
Cheers!
Joar
Wrath is where everything kind of came together for me. It is likely the only expansion I played from its launch until the next expansion. It is not perfect, and there are reasons to suggest that perhaps Legion is better... also an expansion I quite enjoyed... but it was the pinnacle of the pre-Cata era, the wrap up of the original trilogy that told stories directly from the Warcraft RTS games.
ReplyDelete