Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Gold, the Auction House, and the Games Within the Game

I have never been a gold tycoon. Let's get that out of the way right at the top, because there's a whole corner of this hobby full of people who treat the auction house like a second job and post spreadsheets about it, and I am not one of them. I'm an accountant by trade. You'd think I would be. I'm not.



What I am is a guy who has been playing this game for nineteen years and has slowly, accidentally, ended up playing a second game that runs alongside the first one. Not raiding. Not PvP. The market. And the reason it happened is the same reason everything happens to me in this game. Alts.

Here's the thing nobody tells you about being an altoholic. Fifty-two max-level characters at the end of the last expansion isn't just fifty-two characters. It's fifty-two sets of bags. Fifty-two mailboxes. Fifty-two little warehouses full of stuff somebody logged in and picked up at some point over the years and then forgot about entirely. I have opened a bank tab on a character I hadn't touched in two expansions and found things I genuinely did not know I owned. My alt army stopped being a roster years ago. What I actually own is a supply chain nobody's managing.

And when I switched professions on Joar, dropping tailoring and enchanting for mining and herbalism, that supply chain got a lot more interesting. Because now the flow goes one direction. I'm not consuming materials anymore. I'm producing them. Ore and herbs pile up while I'm doing something else entirely, and then they sit there looking at me until I do something about it.

So I do the lazy version of the market game, and I'm at peace with that. I run the gathering. I dump the results on the auction house at whatever the going rate is. I do not undercut by a copper in some five-hour war of attrition with a bot. I do not have a posting schedule. I post, I walk away, I come back later and there's mail. It is the least sophisticated participation in an economy that a CPA has ever managed and it works fine.

Auctionator does most of the actual thinking. Titan Panel sits up at the top of my screen telling me what my gold is doing, which is a small thing that turns out to matter, because a number you can see is a number you start paying attention to. I didn't set out to track my gold. Titan Panel just put it there and after a while I noticed I cared about the trend line. Sound familiar? It should. It's the same instinct that has me logging my playtime every month, which is a whole other post.

The part I actually enjoy has very little to do with the profit. The market is the only system in this game that other people are moving in real time. A raid boss does what it did last week. The auction house on a Tuesday night is a room full of strangers making decisions, and you can read it. Patch drops and suddenly a herb nobody wanted is worth six times what it was. Somebody dumps eight hundred of something and the floor falls out for two days. It's the closest WoW gets to weather.

And there are more of these little games than people give the game credit for. Collecting is one, though it's never grabbed me. Transmog is one, and I've said before it's not my thing. The pet and mount hunt is a whole parallel career for some people. Achievement hunting. Loremaster, which I actually did finish on Joar in Midnight, and which is absolutely a self-inflicted game inside the game.

The market is just the one that stuck to me, probably because it rewards exactly the thing I'm worst at avoiding. Having too many characters, in too many places, holding too much stuff.

Nineteen years of hoarding, finally monetized. Sort of. At my leisure. Badly.

Cheers,

Joar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold, the Auction House, and the Games Within the Game

I have never been a gold tycoon. Let's get that out of the way right at the top, because there's a whole corner of this hobby full o...