Saturday, August 15, 2026

Why I'll Never Raid At The High End

I don't have enough predictable time slots.  Thanks!  Hope you enjoyed today's blog post.

In all seriousness, if you've read any of these expansion posts, you've seen the same line show up over and over. Leveled at my own pace, ran heroics and LFR, did world quests or dailies, but never went anywhere near the cutting edge. It's practically a refrain at this point. So today's the confession post where I actually explain it, because "I don't raid at the high end" isn't the interesting part. The interesting part is that I used to feel bad about it, and somewhere along the way I completely stopped.



Let me be clear about what I'm not saying. I'm not knocking the people who do it. High-end raiding is genuinely hard, it takes real skill and real coordination, and the guilds who clear mythic content the week it drops have earned every bit of the flex. I respect it the way I respect marathon runners. From a chair. With a snack.

Because that's the thing nobody tells you until you're in it. High-end raiding is a second job. Fixed schedule, three-plus nights a week, invite times you're expected to hit whether or not real life had other plans. Showing up isn't enough, you're expected to show up prepared, which means the pre-work of farming consumables and studying fights and keeping your gear optimized between raids. Miss too many nights and you lose your spot, because the roster is a machine and the machine needs bodies in seats. I did the corporate version of that for 35 years. I am not signing up for the volunteer version at 56.

And the temperament isn't in me either. The high end runs on performance meters, on knowing exactly where you rank, on someone being able to pull up a log after a wipe and point at the reason. Some people thrive on that pressure. I spent a career being measured on a spreadsheet, and the last thing I want out of the thing I do to relax is another spreadsheet with my name on it and a number next to it that somebody's about to question.

So for years I did the thing where I told myself I was missing out. The game didn't help. For most of WoW's history, if you weren't raiding at the top, the message was that the good gear, the real accomplishments, the stuff that "counted," all lived in a room I'd decided not to walk into. I ran my LFR and carried around this low-grade sense that I was doing it wrong. Playing the game in the discount lane.

Then, honestly, I just aged out of caring. Somewhere in the last few years it clicked that I was having a genuinely good time doing exactly what I do. Leveling slowly. Seeing the story. Running the accessible content on my own clock. And the thing I'd been calling "missing out" was actually just a different game, one that fit my life instead of fighting it. The gear I wasn't getting wasn't making anyone happier than I was. It was just making them tired on a schedule.

The game finally caught up to that, too. Delves gave the solo, semi-committed player a real path to gear that doesn't run through 19 other people and three raid nights. I don't need the mythic room anymore, and here's the part that took me twenty years to reach. I don't want it. That's not settling. That's knowing what the hobby is for.

I'll never raid at the high end. I used to say that like an apology. Now I just say it.

Cheers! 

Joar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I'll Never Raid At The High End

I don't have enough predictable time slots.  Thanks!  Hope you enjoyed today's blog post. In all seriousness, if you've read any...