Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Dragonflight

Dragonflight is the expansion that got me back, and I don't say that about many of them. I ended the Shadowlands post walking away, gone for the better part of a year, telling myself I might not come back at all. Dragonflight is the thing that reached across that gap and pulled me home. Not with a grand story or a shocking villain. It won me back by being fun to log into again, which after Shadowlands felt like a small miracle.




Here's the thing that mattered most, and it sounds almost too simple. They stopped burying the game under systems. Shadowlands had covenants and anima and Torghast and a checklist that grew every week, and Dragonflight walked in, cleared the table, and said, "what if you just played?" No borrowed power you'd lose next patch. No agonizing over a choice that came with a math penalty. They even brought back the actual talent trees, the ones you could sit and tinker with, and for a guy who likes to fiddle with a build on a quiet night, that alone was worth the price of admission.

Then there's dragonriding, which I did not expect to care about and ended up loving. Flying in WoW had been the same hover-and-autopilot for years. Dragonriding made it a thing you actually do, with momentum and speed and a little skill to it, diving to build up steam and pulling up to gain height. The first time I really got the rhythm of it, swooping across the Dragon Isles with the ground blurring underneath me, I caught myself grinning like it was 2007 again. That doesn't happen much this far in.

The Dragon Isles themselves were the right kind of setting after a gray prison realm. Green, open, full of dragons and the Dracthyr and old titan machinery, a world that felt like it wanted you to explore it rather than survive it. The Evoker showed up as the new class, the dragon-people who breathe magic, and while I stayed loyal to my undead warlock, I absolutely rolled one to poke at, because I am who I am and a new class is a new toy.

The story was lower stakes on purpose, and that turned out to be exactly what I needed. No universe-ending threat, no cosmic force retconning everything I cared about. Just the dragons coming home to the Isles, sorting out old business, a more grounded story about legacy and stewardship. After Sylvanas and "it was all part of the plan," a smaller, more honest story felt like the game apologizing without saying the words.

I'll be straight about the part that didn't grab me, because these posts aren't ads. Dragonflight was so focused on being pleasant and frictionless that some of it slid off me without leaving much of a mark. I couldn't tell you the villain's name without checking. A few of the middle patches came and went and I logged in less. That's the tradeoff when you build an expansion around not annoying anyone. It also doesn't produce many moments that grab you by the collar. I'll take it. Boring-good beats frustrating-bad every single time, and I'd just spent a year learning that lesson the hard way.

What Dragonflight really did was remind me why I gave this game nineteen years. It took the resentment I'd built up in Shadowlands and quietly dissolved it, one fun evening at a time, until one day I realized I wasn't logging in out of habit or obligation. I was logging in because I wanted to. I'd forgotten that was even possible.

So that's the comeback. Not a bang, an exhale. The expansion that didn't try to blow my mind, just tried to give me my hobby back. It worked, and everything I've played since, I've played because of it.

Cheers,

Joar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dragonflight

Dragonflight is the expansion that got me back, and I don't say that about many of them. I ended the Shadowlands post walking away, gone...