Saturday, August 1, 2026

Blaugust 2026

Good morning, Friends. Belghast opened that way, most mornings, for as long as I can remember. Felt like the right thing to borrow for day one.

Thirty-one posts in thirty-one days. That's the plan, and I'm starting today.

If you've spent any time in the gaming blogosphere, you already know Blaugust. Every August, the people who write about games try to post every single day for a month. I've never come anywhere close. Some years I manage a decent run and then fall off, some years I barely show up. Posting all thirty-one days would be a huge stretch for me. This year I'm going to try anyway, and I want to be clear up front about why.

Blaugust was Bel's. He took a small annual blogging challenge and grew it into a real community event, dozens of people posting all month, cheering each other on, dragging the quiet blogs back to life for a few weeks. He died in July, in the middle of another round of chemo. I wrote about that already and I'm not going to do it again here. What I'll say is this. The best way I know to honor a guy who wrote nearly every day of his life is to sit down and write.

So that's what August is. Thirty-one days, one post a day.

I've got a rough map. Eleven posts on WoW expansions, one for almost every one we've had, from Burning Crusade all the way up to Midnight. A handful on writing and the blog itself. Six on the other MMOs that grabbed me over the years and then let go. And nine on the habits and confessions of being an altoholic who's been at this game for way too long.

Really?  We're doing this?


Some of these posts will be good. Some will be four hundred words I bang out at eleven at night because I refuse to break the streak. That's the deal you sign with Blaugust, and honestly that's the point. Show up, say the thing, hit publish, do it again tomorrow.

That's it for now! 

Cheers! 

Joar

2 comments:

  1. Happy Blaugust!
    Sounds like you have a decent plan on what you want to cover with your blog posts. Awesome stuff.
    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll see how it goes, but I at least have a plan!

    ReplyDelete

RIFT

RIFT is the one that showed up in 2011 looking like it might actually do it, actually be the game that gave WoW a real run, and then slowly,...