Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Blaugust 2023: The Summer of Overwhelmed.

It has been a while since my last blog post, which always makes me feel doubly bad during Blaugust.  Real life has been kicking my butt lately.  I took a new role at work about 15 months ago.  I'm in finance/accounting generally, and I've mostly done the same type of thing for most of my career, and this new role involves more travel and is not the type of thing that I'm used to doing.  For someone as late in their career as me, it's kind of an odd move to have made, but it was one of those things where I was "asked" if I wanted to take the position in a way that it was clear the form only had one answer button on it.

On top of that, I'm one of those people that has a hard time saying no, so as a result, I take on a lot more than I can legitimately handle.  My younger two kids are competitive swimmers, so I've gotten involved in many swimming-related things just because I'm spending lots of time at competition pools with them anyway.  So right now, I'm the Treasurer of a club swim team, a high school swim team, a high school water polo team, a club booster organization, and my state's overall umbrella swim organization.  I also work as an official for both club and high school swimming.

But wait.  That's not all.  I also serve on the boards and finance committees for two local not-for-profits.  Did I mention I'm also getting a master's degree?  I'm a complete and utter dumbass. 

I managed to generally juggle all of that, but then our youngest child dislocated his knee-cap earlier in the summer, adding an additional fun cycle of doctor visits, scans, physical therapy, etc., to the schedule.  He is recovering well, and it did get me out of a few travel swim meets since he couldn't compete, but it has definitely added to a stressful summer.  

My wife and I tried to have some fun this past weekend to try to destress.  Our town here in Central Ohio has a big Irish Festival each year.  We don't often get to go because we're generally out of town at a swim meet, but with the youngest's injury, we suddenly had the time, so we got to go watch a few Irish rock bands and enjoy ourselves.



The next day, we took the kids and some of their friends to Cedar Point, an amusement park about 2 hours north of us known for its fantastic collection of roller coasters.  While the kids made themselves sick riding everything in the park, my wife and I enjoyed the "staring at Lake Erie enjoying a beverage" ride.


Cool clouds that day too.  It was all really fun, but we were also up late both nights, so I'm still pretty exhausted.  

But as a result, I've yet to make much progress on my gaming stuff.  In FFXIV, I did manage to get my Fisher to 90 and have added a couple of levels to both the Dark Knight and the Dragoon.  In Guild Wars 2, I'm halfway through Path of Fire on my Mechanist.

In the next post, tomorrow or Friday, I will talk about why I think I have twice burned out on World of Warcraft.  That was the blog post I intended to write today, but all the above came pouring out.

Cheers,

Joar



No comments:

Post a Comment

Drifting Aimlessly Between MMO's

It has been longer than I would like since my last blog post - three weeks.  Part of that is because work and school have kept me fairly bus...