Friday, August 25, 2023

Blaugust 2023: Initial Thoughts on Secrets of the Obscure

This week has been a bit crazy with real-life demands, particularly with getting one of my children moved back into University.  So, my playtime has been a bit limited.

I did manage to get some initial time in the new Guild Wars 2 expansion, Secrets of the Obscure, so here are a few initial thoughts.

I've only been in the first new zone, having played part way through Chapter 4.  Everything seems pretty typical for new Guild Wars 2 content at this point.  The zones are beautiful and take advantage of Skyscale usage, which I'm sure everyone finds really fun.  

The story is interesting, but not enough to get me to take a complete time out from FFXIV, which I've still been running some regular roulettes on.  I'm enjoying the rift mechanics so far, but I wonder how those will feel when there aren't as many people doing them as there are now.  It's probably too busy right now as you can often arrive at a rift too late, but they may be hard to get through later without larger groups.  We'll have to see how that evolves over time.  The mechanic reminds me of the game Rift, which I always loved.




I wish I had finished my Mechanist because I feel that would work better with the Rift mechanics than my Reaper.  I'm considering switching to either Scourge or Harbinger for tagging things in rifts.  I have Harbinger fully unlocked, but I have never tried it.

In general, I'd give it positive reviews so far.  I should have more play time next week, so I will provide a broader update after another week.

On the FFXIV front, I've made more progress on both characters and have the Dark Knight sitting at level 75 and the Dragoon at level 61.  

I'm off to an out-of-town water polo tournament with the youngest again this weekend, so we'll return with more updates next week.

Cheers,

Joar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drifting Aimlessly Between MMO's

It has been longer than I would like since my last blog post - three weeks.  Part of that is because work and school have kept me fairly bus...