Monday, June 9, 2014

Adventures in Wildstar

So I've started to dip my toes into Wildstar, including playing a little bit during the early launch period.  My play time has been pretty limited because of other real life commitments, but wanted to report out here on some initial thoughts.

I may need to change the name of this blog by the time it's all said and done, as I find myself still reporting out here as I try out and play other games.  I've talked in this space about Rift, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2, and now Wildstar.  My alt addiction hasn't changed, it's really just spreading as a disease to other platforms.

So here's what I've done so far on Wildstar.  My "main" character so far has been my Mordesh Engineer / Settler.  I'm enjoying the engineer so far as a ranged class with a decent amount of survivability.  It has a little bit of a pet class feel with the two bots that you get to run around with and that's firmly within my comfort zone.  The bots are a little buggy at times though and have a tendency to sometimes run off and do their own thing - particularly if you're in an area with heavy mob concentrations.

So far, I've been playing as a pure assault focused build, but I may switch that up a bit and try a "tankier" spec to see how that feels.  While the class overall works well, I"m not killing things overly fast.

The Settler path has been pretty interesting so far.  I like building the little buff stations that help out the other folks in the zone.  There are a lot of thing that show up with the settler icon - planting flowers, repairing banners and other things that I feel compelled to do because they have the little icon, but they don't really appear to be accomplishing much or adding value.  And it just reverses anyway after a period of time.  So while I'm still enjoying it, start to feel a little bit of regret on the Settler choice.

My other character that I've mostly been messing with has been a Human Spellslinger / Soldier.  So far I really like this one a lot.  Seems to still have good survivability and fun abilities.  The Soldier path, while not wildly popular, works pretty well for me.  As long as I'm out killing a bunch of stuff anyway, I may as well get "extra credit" for some of it.

I'm thinking about also trying an Esper / Explorer and and a Medic / Scientist - maybe on the Dominion side, just to try everything out a bit.  For right now though, I want to focus on working to get one of my first two to max level.  My engineer is only level 11, so I've got quite a way to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Guild Wars 2 and Elder Scrolls Online Updates

I continue to balance my playing time between Elder Scrolls Online and Guild Wars 2.  I finished running my Reaper through the new Guild War...