Monday, February 1, 2010

January Update and Low Level Warrior Tanks

So I ended up doing a fair amount of leveling of both my paladin and my priest this weekend, so ended up finishing the month strong from a leveling perspective. I managed to hit 70 on the paladin last night which still makes me feel really good, even though it's just another milestone now on the way to 80.

Anyway, in addition to my four current 80's - warlock, death knight, druid and hunter, here's where I finished the month of January:

Cador - Paladin - level 70
Zinjar - Priest - level 34
Mograwn - Shaman - level 31
Vindoria - Mage - level 28
Rukai - Rogue - level 12

This pace worked out to 1.58 levels per day for the month of January which is closer to what I thought I could achieve when more focused on leveling. If I'm able to maintain this pace, I would be on track to get the rest of these toons to level 80 sometime around the 3rd or 4th week of June, which puts me on pace to have them done before my expectation of when Cataclysm comes out.

So leveling the priest this weekend, I ended up queuing for a lot of instances with my son on his priest. They generally went fairly well with me serving as dps and my son healing on his priest. We did have a few tanks that seemed to have some issues though.

Now, let me preface this by saying that I completely suck at tanking. Said that before here. I've tried it on my death knight, and I'm an epic fail at it.

That being said, even with that, there are a few things, particularly for low level warrior tanks that I feel are worth pointing out.

  1. Just because you're a warrior, doesn't mean you can naturally tank.
  2. Having some, if not most of your talent points in the protection tree is a real plus for tanking. Arms spec'd tanks are not the new cutting edge thing.
  3. Try using a shield. I'm not an expert on block mechanics, but I'm pretty sure it's a good thing for tanking.
  4. Defensive stance anyone? And no, it's not a spell you needed to pick up. It's a quest. Again - I'm not an expert, but just reading the tooltip, anything that decreases damage taken and increases threat is probably good to use - at least every now and then.
  5. Auto attack is probably not going to be enough - go ahead and feel free to hit that Heroic Strike, Thunderclap or Cleave button every now and then. Even Sunder Armor. I know you're a big ugly warrior, and that generates a lot of threat on it's own, but these other things help too.
  6. When your healer says "please wait, I'm out of mana" that's not secret code for "go ahead, pull the next several trash groups."

1 comment:

  1. That's a really good list of tips for Warrior tanks Joar. I have just taken up low-ish level tanking on my Horde Warrior. You say that auto-attack probably isn't enough and that spamming some threat moves once in a while is a good thing.

    Maybe I am just not great at tanking but I know I use all my threat-generating moves as soon as they proc. Maybe I am going overboard with my tanking? All I know is that I rarely loose a mob to the dps.

    In regards to healers and their mana pools, I keep an eye on them and them simply /sit when I feel they need to get some mana back. They instantly understand what I am doing. I have had healers let me know how much they appreciate it. Also, as I have said to others.... having the tank sit down "stays the hand of the eager dps'er" :P

    I have just started blogging about my low level tank on my blog. I would love for you to check it out,

    Cheers..

    P.S. this is the link to my current blog: http://jangomar.blogspot.com/. the others I haven't touched for ages!

    ReplyDelete

Necromancer Done. Only Warden Remains

 I managed to get the Necromancer to level 50, so now only the Warden remains.  He's currently sitting at level 39, so it's not too ...