Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Blapril 2020 - How I started Blogging

I've been blogging about World of Warcraft for almost 11 years now.  That boggles my mind.

Honestly, I started the blog primarily to talk about an idea I had about trying to level a whole bunch of alts.  In my early days of playing Warcraft, I had a few guildies that had 3 or 4 different toons that they played current end game content on.  Not necessarily raiding, but at least running dungeons on those characters on a regular basis (this was before group finder).

It was amazing to me that was even possible, so I thought it might be interesting to start blogging about my plans.  The original dream was to have a character of each class at max level, which back then was 80.  The blog really was about tracking those plans, talking about different leveling paths and strategies and providing updates on where I stood with making this happen.

I looked at a couple of different blogging platforms, primarily WordPress and Blogger, and just generally found Blogger earlier to use for someone that had no clue what they were doing (and frankly still doesn't, 11 years later).  I eventually started to use Twitter as well, for it's normal use and also for promoting my blog posts.  I don't get much traffic.  My second ever blog post, laying out the dream of a level 80 of each class, is still my my most read post ever.  My second most read is a fairly random post about how I'm enjoying leveling my Death Knight during Cataclysm.  Weird.

But I enjoy it.  It gives me a way to maintain some history and see what I've been working on from time to time.  It's also a good collection of data on the progress that I've made over the years.  And it's sometimes fun to look back to see where things used to be and how they used to work (farming for Justice Points gets some discussion for example). 

Cheers,

Joar


1 comment:

  1. I find it interesting just how many blogs the Wrath era of World of Warcraft launched. I started during the same time, around the tail end of Naxx and beginning of Ulduar since at that point I marked the passage of time by the raids that we were doing.

    ReplyDelete

Elder Scrolls Online Updates

Elder Scrolls Online is where I'm investing most of my playtime.  I finished up the Dragonknight yesterday.  Like the Nightblade before,...