Tuesday, June 16, 2009

What's Your Style?

I'll be the first to admit, I've had a hard time figuring out what type of WoW player I wanted to be. I'm a fairly recent addition to WoW, having started playing in February 2008. I started off leveling a Gnome Mage but got quickly frustrated with how quickly it died. How much fun is it to constantly have to run back to your corpse? I wanted to stay with a caster, and so switched to an Undead Warlock, Joar. Having the extra pet to help out really seemed to help with survivability, and so I ended up sticking with that toon all the way to 70 (then 80 following WOTLK).

After getting Joar to 70, I also started leveling a Draenei Hunter - but the Hunter has been stuck for a while - now currently at 53. When Wrath came out, I was pretty slow to get excited about the new Death Knight thing, but after a few months, I caved to the peer pressure, started one and quickly leveled it to 80.

My problem is, with my Warlock being my ostensible "main", I've never been able to figure out what kind of player I wanted to be. I started Joar as a raider and got through Kara and most of ZA before WOTLK came out. While I enjoyed raiding with Joar, I found that the constant competition around dps meters took a lot of the fun out of the game for me. The other difficult thing about being a raider for me is that it is very difficult for me to consistently play during the evenings which is when most raids seem to take place.

I've always also done a fair amount of PvP with both my level 80 characters - originally just to get gear with Joar, but eventually because it seemed to be an option that worked well with my fairly random play schedule. However, eventually I get kind of tired of constantly grinding out battlegrounds. Wintergrasp has been something that I really enjoy, but the change to daily quests has put a bit of a damper on my enthusiasm, even with 2 level 80's to run through the quests.

So, I find myself back to leveling my alts as a way of enjoying the game. I had originally thought of trying for Loremaster with Joar, but completing all of those quests without any leveling rewards just wasn't getting it done for me. So, I've started a druid alt and have him pretty close to level 30, and have gone back to working on my Hunter, which is my only alliance leveling toon at this point, my original mage being consigned to the auction house. I figure, I'll get the alliance toon to 80, then work on leveling a character of each class on the Horde side (except hunter) to 80. That should keep me busy until the next expansion comes - along with the occasional raid of course!

Anyone else struggling to figure out what type of player you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guild Wars 2 and Elder Scrolls Online Updates

I continue to balance my playing time between Elder Scrolls Online and Guild Wars 2.  I finished running my Reaper through the new Guild War...